Hello and welcome to my very first post! I’m nervous and a tad intimidated as I’m not really sure what I’m doing, but here I go anyway!
On my little blogging adventure, I thought I should research what I’m getting myself into.
Wikipedia describes blogging as this:
A blog (a portmanteau of the term web log) is a discussion or information site published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete entries (“posts”) typically displayed in reverse chronological order so the most recent post appears first.
Ok I can handle that. I just have to post information. Wait a sec..who’s going to read my information anyway? So I googled, “how to get people to read your blog.” To summarize:
1) Keep it short and sweet. Internet users want info fast! They scan and will move on quickly if the info they’re seeking is not right there in an easy to read format. Start with your conclusion first to hook your reader, then if you must continue to blab on below.
2) Use bulleted and numbered lists. Look at me go, I’m currently blogging a list! I love lists! Lists are good things in all aspects of our lives…of course they would be useful for a blog.
3) Use pictures and video. Ok let me try….
Easy peasy! That took me 3 minutes and 2.5 of them was searching for the pic. I will tackle video one day soon.
4) Add relevent links. Again, another easy one! Also, if you use content from another site or blogger you can give them the credit by linking back. Also perfect for me as a Realtor to be able to direct traffic to my listings or other useful real estate info.
5) Be approachable, be real and speak from the heart. Enough said.
6) Write well and write often. Bah…this makes me nervous! This will be my #1 challenge. However, I will remind myself about point 5, be real and in reality I’m not the greatest writer, but I’ll do my best and hope my readers are cool with that.
7) Engage your readers and respond to comments. This will show your beloved readers that you appreciate them and build loyalty.
8) Submit your blog to search engines. Get on the radar for some of the most popular search engines. Here is the link for Google. http://www.google.com/submityourcontent/
And most important…
10) Content is King. Another daunting task, content! I’m going to stick with all things Grande Prairie! Keeps my options open but with a clear focal point.
Cheers to my first post! Let the games begin!